Okay hear me out. I know that in the grand scheme of things, I made a corn themed pasta recently. BUT. I had to do what I had to do, given the circumstances of this weekend. Big news!! My sister and I signed our lease on an NYC apartment on Friday! The kitchen is much smaller than I’m used to, but it’s got these very on-brand fruit tiles, and a GORGEOUS living room with a wall of exposed brick, which I can promise will start showing up in my pictures. Anyway, this weekend we started to move some furniture in, and it took my whoooole family to get my bed pieces up the three flights of stairs. That’s the price you pay for Ikea am I right? My saint of a father spent 3 hours building my bed that JUST barely fit into the space for my room, but at least we have air conditioners!
I’m realizing how expensive it is to move into your first apartment, we are starting from scratch on furniture, kitchen supplies, you name it. I’ve had a beautiful new KitchenAid stand mixer for three months that I haven’t let myself touch until I moved, and now its going to have to be a focal point of my kitchen because it doesn’t fit in any cabinet. Alas.
But that’s not why we’re here. We’re here for this summery pasta, which just so happened to be the result of a surplus of corn and my workplace procrastination. Add in a ton of butter and a generous pour of white wine, and my attention is captured. I regret to say that I made a quick blueberry-peach cobbler this weekend that we were halfway through before I remembered that I needed to snap some pictures. As a result, here is my peace offering instead, because who can resist a pasta recipe?? Originally found here, this Shrimp, Corn, and Arugula Linguine is quick and so fresh for summer!
Before we start, here are 5 things to be happy about:
ONE. The rainbow after a particularly bad thunderstorm.
TWO. Popcorn with M&Ms mixed in.
THREE. Starting with a blank slate.
FOUR. Laughing so hard you can’t stop, even when you forget why you were laughing in the first place.
FIVE. At the end of August, realizing that Fall is around the corner.
Let’s get cooking!
Shrimp, Corn, and Arugula Linguine
- 2 boxes linguine or spaghetti
- 2 lbs shrimp; peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 6 cloves garlic; thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 16 oz arugula
- Assorted herbs (basil, mint, parsley); roughly torn or chopped
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt, and cook pasta for one minute less than the instructions specify. Save 2 cups of pasta water for the sauce.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 stick of butter in a large saucepan on medium heat, then saute the shrimp for 2 minutes per side, until entirely pink and cooked through. Season with salt and pepper, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same pan that the shrimp was cooked in, add the corn and a little more salt and pepper, cooking until the corn is tender and browned in some spots. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the wine and bring the whole thing to a simmer, cooking until the liquid in the pan is reduced by half. Add the cooked pasta and toss until evenly mixed. A handful at a time, mix in the arugula until slightly wilted, adding pasta water as necessary. At this point, in goes the shrimp, the remaining butter, and the chopped herbs, and give it a final mix until evenly combined. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkling of the herbs, and preferably a glass of wine!